In times of economic uncertainty and noticeable climate change, saving energy should be high up on any hotel’s priority list.
Here’s are 10 reasons why hotels should be looking to save on energy:
- Energy consumption in hotels has increased from 25% to 30% in the past decade
- A 10% to 25% rise is predicted in the next few years
- Annual energy costs for the hospitality sector overall are in excess of £1.3 billion
- In the UK alone, the sector’s activity results in more than 8 million tonnes of carbon emissions per year
- Energy is the second-largest cost for a hotel after employment
- It accounts for 3% to 6% of operating costs
- Energy typically accounts for 60% of a hotel’s CO2 emissions
- Low cost, easy-to-implement solutions can quickly improve efficiency and reduce costs by up to 10%
- More labour-intensive and capital-demanding solutions can deliver greater cost savings of up to 20-25%
- Simply switching suppliers can help you save up to 40%
Why the increased consumption?
Some of the factors that have led to an increase in energy consumption and costs for hotels in the past few years include:
- Extreme weather conditions
- Rising energy prices
- Increase in tourism
- Energy inefficiencies
- Outdated systems
- Old contracts
All of which can diminish your hotel’s actual profit through wasted energy and money. Thus, all hotel managers should be looking to optimise their hotels’ energy consumption to prepare for future demand and to maintain a healthy return on investment.
On the bright side…
The high cost of a hotel’s energy bills means that there is significant potential to save on energy. These savings will have a direct positive impact on the bottom line. Whether by changing suppliers, implementing quick fixes or committing to long-term energy-saving initiatives, all incremental changes help you save energy, save money, and reduce your hotel’s carbon footprint.
- DOWNLOAD our free guide: The smart guide to how hotels can save on utility costs
- WATCH: Smart Savings for Hotels
- CALCULATE how much your hotel could save by switching suppliers
- CONTACT Smarter Business to get a free quote
INFOGRAPHIC: How Hotels Can Save on Increasing Utility Costs