The UK produces 400 million tonnes of waste every year – keeping waste collection services working hard! Strategic business waste management saves time, effort and costs. It also ensures that waste is dealt with in a responsible, cost-effective manner.
Fun fact: a bit about the waste collection services classic – the wheelie bin!
Who invented the wheelie bin?
Bet you’ve never spared much of a thought for the omnipresent, mundane wheelie bin… but did you know that the modern plastic wheelie bin was invented in Slough in the late 1960s?
A Health and Safety Inspector spotted the invention and saw its potential to reduce back injuries long-suffered by waste collection services workers, who would have to lift the wheel-less, heavy metal bins that were common at the time.
Businesses who can benefit from waste collection services
Although almost all businesses produce waste of some kind, certain industries produce types of waste that are more difficult to dispose of. Using a professional waste collection service will ensure that your waste is disposed of legally and correctly, without you having to worry about it.
Examples of business waste that’s more difficult to get rid of includes:
- Hazardous waste – chemicals, aerosol cans, pesticides, X-ray waste, toxic waste
- Clinical waste – drugs, sharps, pharmaceuticals, dental waste
- Old or broken electrical equipment – mobile phones, hard drives, appliances, computing hardware
- Industrial waste – chemicals, scrap materials, wastewater, manufacturing by-products
- Office waste – stationery, disposables
- Retail waste – packaging, disposables
- Catering waste – food waste, disposables
Stay on the clean side of the law
Your business needs to follow the EU Waste Framework Directive, a legal framework which covers the transport, collection and disposal of waste.
Organisations are required to:
- Ensure that waste is recovered or disposed of without endangering human health
- Prevent causing harm to the environment
- Take appropriate measures to encourage the prevention or reduction of waste production
- Encourage the recovery of waste by means of recycling or re-using
If your business has an annual turnover of £2 million or more and handles more than 50 tonnes of packaging material, you will fall under the ‘obligated’ packaging producer category. And example under this frameworks is the pre-treatment regulations, which require that businesses pre-treat any non-hazardous waste sent to landfill.
Professional waste collection services
The waste management team from Smarter Business specialise in waste disposal, recycling, recovery and reduction, giving you one less thing to worry about so that you can focus your efforts on more important areas of running your business. Ready to rid yourself of your rubbish? Get in touch with a Smarter Business Waste Manager for a free consultation.