Should You Use An Energy Broker?
Should you use an energy broker?
More and more businesses are waking up to the fact that potential savings lie within their utilities portfolios. In a changing and competitive market, the value in using an energy broker is a topic debated amongst business owners. From big corporates to SMEs, all businesses stand to benefit from partnering with the right energy broker.
So, should you use an energy broker for your business energy procurement and management?
Here are our top five reasons to consider working with a broker:
- If you don’t have enough time to understand the market and negotiate the deal. Particularly in the case of SMEs, many business owners simply do not have the time or available resources to develop a real understanding of the markets and apply that knowledge to get the best deals. Even if you are willing to dedicate the time to thorough research and discussions with suppliers, it will indirectly affect operations as this time is often better spent attending to your core business.
- If you want to capitalise on experience and expertise. Brokers have the industry knowledge and experience to review and advise throughout the procurement process, unravelling the complexity around timing, tariffs, and – importantly – long-term strategy. In addition, opt for a broker with long-standing supplier relationships as this will further assist in negotiating the best deals on your behalf.
- If you want to make the most of competitiveness and impartiality for procurement. When suppliers compete for your business, this has a telling effect on price. By working with the right broker, you will make the most of their good supplier relationships; harness the bargaining power of competitiveness; and receive independent, impartial recommendations and advice to make the best decision.
- If you want the value of energy management beyond procurement. Securing the best utilities contracts is the first step. The broker’s relationship should extend beyond this and provide even further savings over time through holistic services, infrastructure, and technology – driving optimal efficiency and stepping in to assist your business as it expands and changes.
- If you want one partner for a host of services. It is important to work with a broker who takes the time to understand your business. Once this relationship has been established, your broker can become a partner for a range of business services for additional savings in water, gas, waste, telecoms, IT, business finance, and facilities maintenance.
When considering whether or not you should use an energy broker, bear in mind that unlocking the savings in your utilities portfolios can be tricky and time-consuming if you go at it alone.
Contact Smarter Business to take control of your costs and strategise for long-term savings.