Smart meter installation: 40 million to go!
2018 marks the make-or-break year for smart installation and roll-out in the UK. The UK government wants all energy suppliers to install smart meters in every home in England, Scotland and Wales by 31 December 2020. Researchers estimate that about 10 million meters have been installed thus far, which means that there are still 40 million meters to be installed in under three years.
In December 2017, the UK Government moved the smart meter installation deadline for small businesses from January 2018 to July 2018. Then in January this year, the date was moved back again to October 2018.
Why are these dates being pushed back?
- The logistical and physical challenges to install the meters are considerable.
- Suppliers face a significant volume of regulations and obligations that control all aspects of the smart meter roll-out and operation.
- The installation of smart meters is enforced through licence and governed by detailed codes of practice, designed to protect the consumer.
Is a smart meter compulsory?
Upgrading to smart meters is part of the UK’s national commitment to reduce energy use. Having a smart meter installed is not compulsory, but the government does require that UK energy suppliers offer smart meters to all small businesses homes.
Although you are not required by law to install a smart meter, there are a number of benefits of doing so…
The benefits of smart meter installation:
- The ability to understand and monitor your business’s usage, which can help you identify how to save energy, and save money as a result.
- Help you to better understand your bills and see what your energy is costing your business.
- The knowledge gained from this technology gives your business with the upper hand when it comes to strategic utilities management and planning.
- Once your meter’s SIM card is connected, you won’t need to send meter readings to your supplier, saving time and ensuring the accuracy of your bill.
How small businesses can get a smart meter
Getting a smart meter installed for your small business is simple:
- Ask your energy broker or supplier about what’s on offer in the market
- Once you or your broker have decided on the appropriate solution, your energy supplier will arrange a suitable time and date for smart meter installation.
- Learn how your meter works and start taking control of your energy bills and consumption.
Make your smart meter installation smarter
The experts at Smarter Business can complete your smart meter installation effortlessly and cost-effectively, and can also provide energy supply contracts. Your dedicated account manager will walk you through the entire smart meter installation process, offering comprehensive meter solutions and supplying the connections for your gas and electricity.
Contact Smarter Business today for your free energy service quote.
Update – smart meter installation – November 2018
In order to replace the existing 46 million meters by 2020, energy suppliers would have to install smart meters at a rate of 30 per minute for the next two years.