AA Hospitality Awards: Smarter Business Sponsors ‘Restaurant of the Year’
Held at Grosvenor House in London on Monday 23rd September, the AA Hospitality Awards celebrated the best hotels, restaurants and pubs across the UK. Smarter Business came out in force as the sponsor of the ‘AA Restaurant of the Year (England)’ category, which saw the Michelin-starred Fordwich Arms in Kent collect the coveted award.
For over twenty years, the Awards has acted to benchmark the best and brightest talents operating in the UK hospitality industry and the world-class establishments they run. And 2019 was no exception, with an array of talents being recognised, such as:
- Jason Atherton, founder of the Michelin-starred Pollen Street Social, awarded the Chefs’ Chef Award winner
- Robin Sheppard, Chairman of the Bespoke Hotels group, being given the Lifetime Achievement Award
The ceremony was hosted by BBC television presenter Kate Silverton. The 1,000 guests in attendance dined on a menu cooked by Claude Bosi (the AA Chef’s Chef of the Year at the 2018 awards).
Each year, the AA independently inspects hundreds of restaurants across the British Isles. Introduced in 2000, the ‘AA Restaurant of the Year’ award recognises restaurants that provide cuisine of a truly excellent standard, as well as demonstrating innovation and ambience and providing a high standard of hospitality.
Smarter Business were proud to present, for the second year running, the award for the Best Restaurant in England to Dan Smith, Chef/Patron of the Fordwich Arms in Kent, a restaurant that is defining British cuisine. Chef-patron Daniel Smith has worked in some of the country’s top restaurants, and the seasonal, locally-sourced menu at the Fordwich Arms focuses on provenance, showcasing the best of local ingredients.
Matthew Margetts, Director of Communication at Smarter Business, says: “Due to the energy-intensive nature of the industry, hospitality energy savings can be significant. That’s why Smarter Business helps hundreds of hospitality businesses save money through our effective energy management services. It’s our goal to help these businesses save money in simple ways – without affecting the customer experience. With our experience in the hospitality industry, it’s a natural fit for us to sponsor one of the award categories at the AA Hospitality Awards. We’ve also created a range of bespoke rates and offers exclusively for AA customers to ensure that they get the best deals available.”
“We’d like to extend massive congratulations to Dan Smith and the Fordwich Arms team,” Matthew continued.
Smarter Business have partnered with the AA and are actively helping hoteliers and restaurateurs set standards in operating efficiency and sustainability by providing informed advice supported by bespoke technology. AA members can visit www.smarterbusiness.co.uk/aa to request bespoke rates and offers.
The full list of winners at the AA Hospitality Awards, along with new rosettes and red stars, is below:
New Rosettes (London)
- Roganic (4)
- The Greenhouse (4)
- Launceston Place (3)
- Cornerstone (3)
- Petrus (3)
- Kerridge’s Bar and Grill (3)
- Ikoyi (3)
New Red Stars (London)
- The Langham (5)
- Hotel Cafe Royal (5)
- St Ermin’s Hotel (4)
AA Hospitality Awards
- Chef’s Chef of the Year – Jason Atherton
- Restaurant of the Year England – Fordwich Arms, Canterbury
- Restaurant of the Year Scotland – Sugar Boat, Helensburgh
- Restaurant of the Year Wales – Bryn Williams Porth Eirias, Colwyn Bay
- Restaurant of the Year London – Cornerstone, Hackney Wick
- Hotel of the Year England – Chewton Glen, Hampshire
- Hotel of the Year Scotland – Gleneagles, Perthshire
- Hotel of the Year Wales – The Grove, Narberth
- Hotel of the Year Northern Ireland – The Fitzwilliam Hotel, Belfast
- Hotel of the Year London – The Landmark London,
- Pub of the Year England – Three Daggers, Edington
- Pub of the Year Scotland – Meikleour Arms, Perth
- Pub of the Year Wales – The Glynne Arms, Hawarden
- Spa of the Year – Rudding Park Hotel
- Eco Hotel of the Year – Carbis Bay, Cornwall
- Food Service Award – The Ritz, London
- Wine Award England – Hampton Manor, Solihull
- Wine Award Scotland – Castle Terrace,
- Wine Award Wales – Penhall Hotel,
- Wine Award Overall Winner – Hampton Manor, Solihull
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Robin Sheppard, Bespoke Hotels
- Large Hotel Group of the Year – Park Plaza Hotels
- Small Hotel Group of the Year – ICMI The Collection
- Housekeeper of the Year – Ankica Korzelius, St Ermin’s Hotel
- College Restaurant of the Year – Academy at Cheshire College South & West
About the award
Each year the AA independently inspects hundreds of restaurants across the British Isles. Introduced in 2000, this award recognises restaurants that provide cuisine of a truly excellent standard, as well as demonstrating innovation and ambience and providing a high standard of hospitality.
AA members can visit www.smarterbusiness.co.uk/aa to request bespoke rates and offers.