Top Tips For A More Eco-Friendly Healthcare Facility
With extensive operational requirements, healthcare facilities face a unique set of challenges when it comes to going green. However, it also means that these organisations have the potential to save on utilities when they make taking care of the environment a priority. Implementing eco-friendly measures at healthcare facilities combines operational requirements, environmental concerns and patient wellbeing, which can be a daunting process.
Water saving tips for healthcare facilities
Water is the earth’s most precious resource. In healthcare facilities, cleanliness and hygiene are vitally important, leading to these facilities being high water users.
However, there are ways to prevent wasting water.
- Use water-wise technology – If you are upgrading or building a new facility, investigate equipment that uses water-saving technology.
- Maintain your equipment regularly – When machinery is maintained well and operating optimally, it can use less water and energy.
- Assess the products that you use – Where possible, switching to eco-friendly cleaning products can reduce the amount of chemicals running down the drain and into the environment.
- Use water harvesting – Harvest water or use grey water where potable water isn’t needed (e.g. flushing toilets).
Waste management tips for healthcare facilities
Healthcare facilities typically generate large amounts of waste, including hazardous waste.
- A registered waste management company can help you become more environmentally-conscious with your facility’s waste management and disposal. They can also help you devise a recycling and waste management and recycling strategy to suit your unique needs.
- Working with a waste management company with a thorough network will help reduce the carbon footprint associated with trucking waste to its final destination.
- Avoid single-use waste items if there are re-usable components available.
- Where possible, re-sell, recycle or donate old equipment to other facilities.
Electricity saving tips for healthcare facilities
- If you are renovating or building a new healthcare facility, maximize the amount of natural light inwards.
- Switching to energy efficient lightbulbs can make a significant impact on the amount of energy used in your healthcare facilities – and have a positive effect on your energy bills too!
- Invest in technology such as motion sensor lighting to prevent lights being left on when they are not in use.
- Maintain your equipment regularly. If your heating and cooling aren’t working optimally, they will use more energy to perform.
- Inspect your insulation.
- Identify what is responsible for your facility’s energy consumption, particularly during peak periods. Consulting energy brokers and using energy management software can make a very big difference in usage and cost of your energy.
Do you need expert assistance with the effective management of your healthcare facility? Get in touch with the experts at Smarter Business who can help you transition to a more eco-friendly operation.